Monday, March 16, 2015

L'oreal True Match Liquid Foundation Review




Let me start off by saying I was having a hard time picking out my first post under the "reviews & takeaways" category. There are just so many makeup out there and in my collection that I have to go through before I can make up my mind. Well, I thought, since foundation is the base of your makeup and what creates a great canvas to any looks, then it is probably the first best thing to talk about.

I have tried quite a lot of foundation from high-end to drugstore over the years, but this review is only going to focus on a drugstore one. And as the title says, it is the L'oreal True Match Super Blendable Liquid Foundation.

You might be wondering why they have two different packaging. The packaging varies from country to country. In the U.S the one on the left (without the pump) is sold, while the one on the right (with pump) can be seen mostly in Europe and Asia. The choices of shades also varies between the two packaging. The one on the left has a wider array of color selection for different skin tones while the one on the right has very very limited shades (I believe only 4 shades are available at least on the one I've seen in the Philippines and Thailand).

I actually own four bottles of these babies - two of different shades from each of the two packaging. The reason why I got four different ones was because I was on a search for finding the perfect color match for me. The first one I got was N7 Nude Amber; I got it during my vacation in the Philippines. As it turned out, it was waaaaay toooo dark on my skin. So, when I went to Thailand I picked up a shade lighter than N7, which was the G3 Golden Amber. It is more wearable for me than the N7. However, it could get too light sometimes. So what I do is I mix N7 and G3 and it gives me my perfect shade. 

However, I was still wondering if any of the U.S version of the L'oreal True Match Foundation matches me. Then, a couple of months later a friend from the States came to visit us and he was kind enough to pick up some makeup for me. I used the L'oreal website to find my shade and it recommended me two shades that are probably closer to my skin tone: N6 Honey Beige and W6 Sun Beige.  So, I asked my friend to buy me two of the recommended shades. After a long search for my exact shade match, I finally found it, it is the W6 Sun Beige. N6 Honey Beige is wearable but it gives me an orangey under cast, which means it is not the correct undertone for me. I have a warm tone so W6 (I think w stands for warm) suits me perfectly. 


Packaging
Packaging is one of the things that draw me in to a product - whether it be the design, portability, and functionality. With regards to this product, I prefer the packaging with the pump because it just makes it so much easier to dispense the product without wasting any. The one in the bottle is very difficult to control; you can end up dispensing too much or too little. As for the amount of product, the bottle might look smaller in person, but actually they contain equal amount of 30ml. 

Formulation
I believe the formulation between the two packaging are the same. They actually feel and blends in the same way. Also the finish is semi matte for all of them and they all contain an SPF 17 PA++. 

Coverage
I would say the coverage is medium to full coverage. You can easily build it for a more full coverage look. Make sure you don't apply a lot of it all at once. Just slowly build your coverage while blending it well to avoid cakey face (nobody likes that).

Application
As the packaging claims, it is a super-blendable makeup. I'd say it is one of the most blendable liquid foundation I've ever tried. I apply it in two ways, depending on the coverage I am aiming for. If I want a fuller coverage, I apply it using my real technique buffing brush and if I just want a medium coverage with a bit of a dewy finish, I use a dampen sponge or a beauty blender.  If you don't have any of those tools, don't worry! Your "fingers" are your best tool - just make sure they are clean. 

Wearability/Longevity
I really like the way this foundation feels on my skin. It doesn't feel too heavy and it covers my blemishes well (at least the one that matches my skin tone). The longevity is not bad although I have to touch up with my press powder from time to time. If you wear a primer before applying this foundation and finishing it up with a spritz of finishing spray, then you won't probably have to touch up so often. Also it's worth noting that I have very sensitive and acne-prone skin and this product does not cause me to break out (a big plus). 

Price/Affordability
Well, this part is difficult because it all depends on where you are and the availability of this product in your country. As far as I can remember, I paid a little over 1,000 Php/23 USD (please correct me if I'm mistaken) when I got this in the Philippines and forgive me but I can't remember how much I paid for it in Thailand.  The costs of L'oreal products in Asia is really jacked up compared to how much they really cost in the States. I guess it's because of the import tax. If you get this babe in the States you only have to pay less than 10USD. I believe it is about $7.97 in Walmart. Unfortunately, this product is nowhere to be found in South Korea, where I am currently at. If you are in South Korea and want to buy this, probably check out Gmarket.

My Final Take-aways
I'm sorry if this post seems to go on forever. 

Do I recommend it?
I recommend this product for those of you who are looking for a medium to full coverage foundation, that is easy to apply, and doesn't cake nor feel too heavy. However, I do suggest that if you can't find your matching shade in the Asian or European market, try to use L'oreal website check what shade suits you. Their recommendation is pretty accurate. Then, from there you can order it online or ask a friend in the States to get it for you. ;)

Will I buy it again?
The Asian version (with the pump) no! Just simply because I can't find my shade. However, I'll totally buy the bottle one (U.S version) over and over again. In fact, I'll probably hoard some and buy lots of backups when we go back to the States.

Tips: When you are testing out foundation in the store, don't immediately buy it like I did. It's a rookie mistake! Ask the seller to match it on your cheeks or even apply it on your entire face. Then, go out of the store and assess the foundation under the real light (not the store light). 

Disclaimer: Always, remember that our skin is different. My review is relative only to my skin type (combination dry, warm skin tone and sensitive) and my opinion. Some of you might share the same opinion as I do and some of you might totally hate this product. 

I hope I helped. If you have used this foundation, let me know what you think about it. And if you happen to know the exact prices of this please comment down below so I can update it and give the others more accurate info.

Thanks! :)

Keep Dolling Up,
Gelie (Jelai) xoxo







1 comment:

  1. Hi! Great review :) Just what I need to convince myself about trying l'oreal make up. first read about the product on http://www.webbline.com/loreal-true-match-super-blendable-powder-review/ and now I can't get enough of it!

    ReplyDelete